Friday, March 6, 2009

Friday Favorites: "You made that out of WHAT!?"

This week's Friday Favorites is highlighting the brilliant minds of those Etsy artists who are able to look at an ordinary object and can envision the masterpiece it can be made into. All of these items I have stumbled upon had me thinking, "Genius! Why didn't I think of that?" Take a look at this week's Friday Favorite and see for yourself...


This artist creates beautiful, elegant-looking jewelry made from silver spoons. Some items show off her unique technique by leaving elements of the spoon noticeable in the piece, allowing for a fun conversation piece. Other items are so beautifully crafted that the spoon completely disappears and in its place is the exquisite ring/bracelet/watch that remains.




Jennifer Maestre is able to transform an object seen in elementary school art rooms everywhere into original, one-of-a-kind pieces of wearable art. Made from bright colored pencils, these "pencil pins" and necklaces are super fun and ingeniously creative!





This artist calls their work "FUNctional art" and what a perfect way to describe it! Made from recycled records, this artist transforms these flat, round, disks into everything from bracelets and purses, to wine racks and soap dishes! Plus, Retired Records is located in Cincinnati, my home sweet home!



When I was growing up I had a style all my own. I'd dress in things that were mismatched and brightly colored just to stand out. I remember watching the show "Blossom" and seeing her wear a skirt made out of men's ties in the opening credits. I adored that skirt and even stocked up on thrift store ties in hopes that one day I would make my own-- I never did. I stumbled upon this artist's dresses and fell in love with that concept all over again. She takes the idea to a whole new level with elaborate evening gowns, adorable cocktail dresses, and sexy little minis. Wearing one of her pieces will definitely let you stand out in a crowd!

1 comment: