Monday, September 26, 2011

Creative Business Owners: 5 People You Should Know

For the past couple of weeks, I have been bubbling over with inspiration and motivation with regard to my artwork and my business.

What has caused this rush of excitement and creativity?
Research. Tons and tons of research. 

When making a list of things I could do for hours on end without getting bored, one of the things at the top of the list would be obsessively passionately scouring the interwebs for all things creative business.

Could I be doing something more productive with my time? Maybe.
Does this make me a super-nerd? Probably.

But here's the thing: Everything I know about running a business-- product design, marketing, finances, branding, web design, social media, customer service, communication-- has either been self-taught or acquired through the simple act of "Googling" and learning from the experience of others. I do not have a business degree nor have I taken any classes, but one asset I do have is my unending desire to learn.

That being said, I thought I would share some of the brilliant minds I've come into contact with throughout the course of my business. Some of these people I have interacted with via e-courses, teleconferences, or social networking but most of them I have learned from just by reading their blogs or checking their books out of the library. They all have different areas of expertise and varying things to offer but they do have one thing in common: They are brilliant teachers.


1. Jennifer Lee- The Right-Brain Business Plan

A fabulous book, e-course, and workshop geared at helping creative-minded people formulate a business plan. Perfect for those right-brained thinkers who cringe at the thought of spreadsheets and number projections.




2. Michelle Ward- The When I Grow Up Coach

Michelle is a great speaker and coach geared at helping people get in touch with their passions and figure out what their dream career really is. She is fun, enthusiastic, and her excitement is contagious!



3. Tara Gentile- Scoutie Girl Blog

I recently stumbled upon Tara Gentile through one of my research binges and it took no time at all for her to re-light my spark. Her writing is amazing-- inspirational, full of wisdom, and chock-full of "ah ha!" moments. I purchased her e-book "The Art of Earning" and I'm not exaggerating when I say it changed my whole perspective on money and personal value.



4. Chris Guillebeau- The Art of Non-Conformity

Just as the title of his blog suggests, Chris writes about the possibility for creative entrepreneurs to throw out the rules of business and create their own path to success. He is a walking, talking example of the success that can come from thinking outside of the box; he is currently living his dream of traveling the world and visiting every country on earth (how cool is that!?)



5. Danielle LaPorte- WhiteHot Truth

If you're looking for someone with more of a kick-ass-and-take-names attitude about business, Danielle is your girl. She's passionate about her mission, is unabashedly honest, and gives insights that will light your fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment