Thursday, January 29, 2009

"When I Grow Up, I Want to be a Dinosaur!"

I was on the way home from my day job today and decided to swing by the post office to sign up for a PO Box. Turns out the lady at the front desk was NOT excited about life at the moment and refused to sell me one because I didn't have an "appropriate" form of second I.D. which, according to my Postal Service Employee/Dad, was incorrect. So, instead of causing a scene I grabbed a PO Box form to fill out and left. On the way out I figured I might as well go to Michael's which is located in the same shopping plaza to pick up the tubes of paint I need in order to finish some work for the Summerfair application (due February 6th- eeeek!) Well, after being defeated once again (they had some new paint but conveniently NOT the colors I need. For the love of God! Order more Ultramarine Blue!!) I left and went home where my wonderful mother- hi Mom!- invited me to eat at her place. Ah, the perks of living next door to the rents!


On the way from work, while fruitlessly trying to get things done, I was chatting with my very good friend Jess (Shoutout to J! haha) who currently lives in Maine. She's always super supportive of my artistic endeavours and I usually get all fired up while talking to her and end the conversation even more pumped to be successful at something I'm passionate about. Anyway, we are in the same boat with regard to a lot of things, more specifically the uncontrollable aversion to all things 9-to-5. After chatting for a little while about all the things we'd rather be doing with our time, she brought up a point that I thought was really interesting: Is the overwhelming desire to avoid the corporate office life, with all the cubicles, department meetings, and paper pushing, something that only we were experiencing or is it a generational thing? My parents, and even more so, my parents' parents, worked in the same jobs for decades and seemed content. So why can't I work my 40 hour a week job without feeling completely stifled on an almost daily basis? Is it just because I'm not wired to be happy in that kind of schedule or environment? Or was my generation force-fed too many ideas of "you can be anything you want to be" in childhood and now we have an unrealistic concept of what "real life" is like? I'd like to think that I can accomplish anything if I want it bad enough, but am I just being naive? In 15 or 20 years will I have a different mindset? Will I just have to "settle" for the daily grind and fall in line with everyone else, and all those who came before me, just to pay the bills and hope for a good retirement some day? Maybe. But until that happens I'd like to work at being happy NOW. Not wait until I'm 65...

No comments:

Post a Comment