Thursday, August 13, 2009

Beige Shmeige!

I often joke about the fact that I am a Color Addict (admitting you have a problem is the first step...) As you may have seen in an earlier post, my new apartment is a colorful expression of me. I started out by painting my bedroom a light grayish-purple, my bathroom a bright turquoise, and my living room...well, the color of Mountain Dew. After all that painting I was exhausted and decided the kitchen was fine how it was. A light, almost white, beige color. I lived like that for a couple of months but the plain, bland, BEIGE walls were slowly eating away at my soul (okay, a little dramatic, but still...) So yesterday I decided enough was enough and I headed to Home Depot to spice things up!

I first got samples of 3 colors: A bright school bus yellow, a bright purple-violet color, and a bright orangeish-pinkish-melony color. "Subtle" was not an option. As the guy at Home Depot showed me each of the colors in their jars a man next to me said, "Wow. Those are intense." I responded,"Yea. I'm not afraid of color, that's for sure," and he walked away with his light tan paint.

So I got home and put three patches in different spots around the room. "How would it look by the woodwork?", "How would it look by the cabinets?" "How would it look next to the living room wall"....I decided to go with the melony color (It's actual name is "Juicy Passionfruit". Yummy!)

So, since I get very impatient when I'm excited about a project, I got to work and quickly remembered why I had stopped my room-painting spree before. Painting is EXHAUSTING! It's funny how I can sit down at a canvas and paint for 8 hours straight, sometimes forgetting to eat, but put be in front of a blank wall and I can only work about 30 minutes max before I need a break, haha. I got a lot done today but I decided to call it quits for the night. I'll do the corners and trim tomorrow! It's super bright and will take some getting used to but I know it will all come together once I get everything organized...

This looks a little more pumpkin than it really is:



**Also! Here's a little tip: If you're mid-painting and you need to stop for the day, but you know that you're going to come back to it soon and don't want to wash out your brushes and rollers and everything, just wrap them up in some plastic cling wrap! It keeps the paint wet (even overnight!) so you can just pick back up where you left off. My mom is a genius.**

1 comment:

  1. I like it! A lot! It's totally you, and it really flows with the rest of your place. Love you!

    ReplyDelete