Monday, March 26, 2012

My DIY Wedding: "Will You Be My Bridesmaid?"

DIY Wedding Ball Mason Jars Bridesmaid Kit


As many of you know, I am engaged and in the process of planning a wedding to take place in October 2012. Kyle and I are both SUPER laid-back about most things in life so our wedding is no different. This is good for our stress levels, however I am also very aware that our slow-paced planning is going to sneak up on us and my head will likely explode in a few months so we (finally) have started to get the show on the road.

Being that my response to most projects is, "Oh, I can just make that", we knew from the get-go that our wedding would be mostly DIY. Not only does it cut down on cost, but also-- and most importantly to us-- making everything ourselves allows us to make it truly our own and an expression of ourselves. We are adamant that everything we plan for our big day will have meaning to us, and that nothing will be done just because "that's what you're supposed to do". Tradition Shmadition.

First on the list of DIY Wedding Projects is the task of asking my girls to be in my wedding. I have girls scattered all around (California, Arkansas, Cincinnati, Columbus) so I knew I wanted to ask them via a gift, as opposed to asking them to dinner or something which wasn't a possibility for everyone.

As I was browsing the inspirational wonderland that is Pinterest, I came across this lovely post. I knew immediately that it was something I wanted to do-- a little kit of inspiration for each of my girls.

We have a couple of motifs decided for the wedding including Ball Mason Jars (my future married name will be "Megan Ball" so it's very fitting), pennant flag bunting, our colors, and a hand-drawn doodle heart with our initials. I wanted to include all of these things in their kit so they could get a better feel for what the wedding day will be.

First, I cut the pennants out of cardstock and hot glued them to string to make the banner. I also wrote "Will you be my bridesmaid?" on a strip of ribbon and collected some goodies to include in their jars. Goodies included a bundle of paint chips to show our colors, photos of dress and flower inspiration, and a little stamped heart.

DIY Wedding Ball Mason Jars Bridesmaid Kit

The hand-carved stamp was a purchase from the Doodlebug Design Etsy Shop. I love it and have used it for a number of wedding projects so far!

DIY Wedding Ball Mason Jars Bridesmaid Kit
I also wrote out a couple of pages about who is in the wedding party, what the day will be like, what dresses they should wear, and what their role as bridesmaid will be. (Spoiler Alert: all they really have to do is show up, look gorgeous, and have a blast!).

The "My Girls" page was a lot of fun because I gave them each a superlative a la high school yearbook such as "Most likely to sob uncontrollably" and "Most likely to spike the punch".

Then, I put them all in the jar, lined the jar with kraft paper to hide the goodies inside, attached the ribbon to the lid, and hung the bunting around the outside.
DIY Wedding Ball Mason Jars Bridesmaid Kit
 Voila! A question, a present, and inspiration all in one jar! What do you think?

Do you have a story of how you asked your wedding party to be a part of your wedding day? I'd love to hear them! Leave me your memories in the comments below!





1 comment:

  1. This is such a good idea! Are you mailing these? Also, can't wait to see more wedding details -- I'm totally the same way about knowing I can do it all myself. But don't overwhelm yourself!

    ReplyDelete