Wednesday, August 5, 2009

NEW NEW NEW!

After the little sneak peek from yesterday, it is time to introduce the first drawing in my new line, "Animals: A Day in the Life". I was inspired to create this line by the following:

1. The brilliantly warped mind of musician, Brad Otto (album art below)-

Mr. Otto emailed me one day interested in a custom work for his latest album. "I would like it to look like one of those old Revolutionary War paintings," he said, "except I want a hamster riding a chicken." "Well, of course you do,"I thought. It was something new and interesting and I was happy to accept his challenge. Not only did his request remind me of how much I used to love using colored pencils, but it sparked a desire in me to infuse a little humor into my work.

Along those same lines, when Brad came to pick up his Hamster/Chicken drawing, he told me a story about when he was a youngster in art class, attempting to create something using clay. He started out with a gorilla's face which turned out to look pretty damn good. He then worked out the torso of the beast, big muscular arms, and broad chest, and it began to come together. Then...the legs. For the life of him he couldn't get the legs to work out. No matter what he tried, the gorilla couldn't support himself. So, frustrated, Brad stuck the gorilla torso on a lump of clay, and molded it into the shape of a kayak. Voila! A gorilla in a Kayak! As he was telling me this, I couldn't help but giggle at the idea of an animal doing something so human...

2. US magazine's "Stars: They're Just Like Us!" Photo Spreads-

Every time I see this section of the magazine I think about how ridiculous it is. First, that the author would assume that we laypeople would never even imagine that celebrities are people too without the help of a magazine (thank you, author, for opening our eyes...ha.). But also, the activities they pick to show are often quite lame. "They butter their toast!", "They put their hands in their pockets!", "They inhale AND exhale!" I then decided that it would not only be funny to have animals doing human activities, but mundane, everyday, ordinary activities....

3. A Real-Life Cincinnati News Story-

So, I had my idea, but now, where to start? I immediately thought of a news story I had heard a while ago about a wild male deer somehow getting in to a local Whole Foods store during business hours and finding his way to the bakery. When I first heard this story, my silly imagination kicked in and I pictured him sitting down at a table with a cup of coffee and a paper, waiting for the cookies to be done. I altered this mental image just a bit and put the subject of my first drawing in a diner setting.

And so we begin....


2 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    THIS IS THE BEST THING TO EVER COME OUT OF CINCINNATI! I'M SO GLAD TO HAVE BEEN A SMALL PART OF YOUR INSPIRATION!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so strange, amazing, unusual, talented, funny, awesome...all in one :)

    ReplyDelete