Sunday, August 16, 2009

A Kitchen That's More "Me"

Well my new kitchen is finally done and I LOVE it! My mom has an amazing superpower: the ability to energize and motivate anyone just by being in the room. So, she came over and grabbed a brush and the two of us worked until super late last night finishing up the painting. My dad/landlord already made it known that he does not like the bright color but I promised him that if I decide to move out in the future, I'd change everything back before I left.

This morning I went to IKEA and splurged on a new kitchen island. I had a table and four chairs in the middle of my kitchen before but it really just got in my way. I cook a lot and rarely ever eat in the kitchen so I figured it would be a good investment. I love it already! There are two shelves underneath where I keep my pots and pans and on the other side there are two bar stools for guests. My aunt has already joked that I can be like Benihana or Japanese Steakhouse and cook and flip food at the counter while they watch me, haha.


I made my favorite salad to celebrate my new cooking space....
Ingredients:
  1. Spinach
  2. Boneless, skinless chicken breast tenderloins
  3. Roma tomatoes
  4. Fresh, soft mozzarella cheese
  5. Avocado
  6. Grilled onions
  7. Garlic
  8. Salt & Pepper
  9. Light Balsamic Vinaigrette
I saute the garlic and onions in olive oil while I cook the chicken tenders on my George Foreman grill (greatest invention EVER!). While those are cooking I chop up my avocado, roma tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese. When everything's done, I throw it all in a bowl and toss with a small amount of balsamic vinaigrette (you only need a little- it goes a long way!) I finish it with a dash of salt and pepper. It's my absolute FAVORITE salad ever!


*Tip: If you don't use the entire avocado (I only use half), as long as you leave the core in the other half and cover it with cling wrap, it keeps pretty well.

2 comments:

  1. Love the room! And, I think you should post more of your recipes so I can copy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie (niubutterfly82)August 20, 2009 at 10:45 PM

    Hi! I am niubutterfly82 from ETSY. I bought the "Love" paintings and swirly tree. I was bored and looking on ETSY at things and I stumbled upon your blog.

    Just had to say that I love the color in your kitchen. We're still working on the kitchen (on week 3 of painting b/c of rain) and 3/4 walls are almost the same color as yours! The color I used is called Tangerine Dream (from Ace). Also, I have a younger sis named Brianna too. Weird!

    Sorry for being all up in your blog. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete