Friday, March 4, 2011

Mailbox Surprises: the power of handwriting



Sharing a duplex with family, mail often gets misplaced. It all goes into the same box, we collect it for each other, and sometimes we forget to pass it along, at least on time. The other day, I was visiting my parents and my duplex-mate/Aunt, was there visiting as well. "Oh, by the way, you got something really cute in the mail. It's waiting for you in the hall." "Really!? For meeee?" I thought. "But I'm not expecting anything..."  The excitement was getting to me so I rushed over to see what it could be.

A cute a little handmade and handwritten postcard from my dear friend, Jess, from South Carolina, completely out of the blue! How fun! Jess and I have been friends for about 13 years now.  She is a photographer, a fellow artsy soul, and we are kindred spirits. We both love to experiment and make things, collaborate with other people creatively, and we both like to make our parents nervous by relentlessly pursuing our passions-- even when we don't know what they are
.

The note read: "Because I love you... AND you inspire and motivate me! I love the new direction you're going with your work. You're so talented! I wish I was there to collaborate! I love you! xo- Jess" Just one page, a couple of lines, but the fact that she spent her time creating this just for me, caring enough to find a pen and paper instead of simply typing out a comment on facebook, was truly touching.

While I love technology, and will be the first to admit that I email, facebook, and twitter my way through life as a business-owner, I am also extremely sentimental and really value all things heartfelt. This made my day and I will keep it forever.

I encourage you all to take the time to hand write something to your loved ones. It doesn't have to be elaborate, it doesn't have to be a novel, it doesn't even have to be spelled correctly. As long as it is in your handwriting, in your words, from your heart, it is sure to bring a little smile to the face of the recipient. And perhaps, that person will feel inspired enough to pass that joy along
.



This story was originally in the MoKoPo Creations March 2011 Newsletter. If you would like to sign up for this monthly fabulousness you can so do here:

No comments:

Post a Comment